Seniors listen up! Coronavirus has reached the United States and is now in the state of Florida. There have been 19 cases confirmed in the sunshine state since March 9th and 650 nationwide. Though most of the cases are overseas, the virus is continuing to spread and is seriously affecting the world’s senior population. Most people who become infected experience mild symptoms, but seniors who become infected can undergo severe conditions, especially those with underlying health conditions.
Protect yourself and others by:
- Washing your hands often with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you are sick, stay home.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces with any EPA-registered household disinfectants, a solution of bleach and water, or an alcohol solution with at least 70% alcohol.
- Maintain at least three feet distance between you or anyone coughing/sneezing (to avoid breathing in small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth).
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth (avoid transferring the virus from your hands into your body).
- Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue (throw away the tissue right away).
- Only use a face mask if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease (there is a shortage of face masks needed for health workers).
Readers, if you have a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, call your nearest medical facility and seek care right away. If you have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or respiratory conditions, stay away from crowded areas or places. These guidelines were provided by both the World Health Organization and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Seniors, there is no need to panic but stay aware and vigilant. By practicing excellent hygiene and preventative care, we can fight the spread of this virus. Our community is secure, and our nation has some of the best medical teams in the world. Stay healthy!
If you would like to receive a copy of the OurSeniors.net Magazine, call 386-200-5444 or click Subscribe.
For information about any senior-related need, you may contact an OurSeniors.net Advisor by phone at 866-333-2657 (se habla Español), or by using Contact Us. Take an online look at our senior living magazine, OurSeniors.net Magazine. You can view the entire OurSeniors.net Directory of Approved Vendors at OurSeniors.net Approved Vendors and Partners.